home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Die Speccy' 97 / Die Speccy' 97.iso / amiga_system / the_aminet / comm / bbs / maxsbbsus.lha / MAX154 / TBM / Txt / ced.txt < prev    next >
Text File  |  1995-04-25  |  5KB  |  82 lines

3.   CygnusEd:
  5.   [so, I'm using CED to write my review for...CED!  Isn't this cheating? :]
  7.   For a text editor, this baby is really a honey.  Does a couple of things
  8. that I'm not sure if I've seen any other text editor do, and does a couple of
  9. other things just plain old "smart".  In short, it handles like a dream.
  11.   First off, the gap between "text editors" and "word processors" is getting
  12. narrower and narrower, as text editors get smarter and (in some cases), word
  13. processors get dumber.  To me, what's traditionally drawn the line between the
  14. two is word-wrap.  Continuous word-wrap, not just the first time you type it.
  15. I could just never understand why a "text editor" couldn't have "live" word-
  16. wrap like, say, ProWrite did.  And no, even CED's word-wrap isn't "on" all the
  17. time, you have to manually "reformat" <blech> the paragraph, with three, not
  18. two, three keys: right-Amiga/shift/F.  But at least it works!    
  20.   Another thing that CED does that I've rarely seen on another text editor 
  21. (OR word processor) is pick up and insert columns.  And it, too, works very
  22. well.  Between it and Snap, you can just shuffle things all over the place.
  24.   You can set the right-hand margin real nicely, you can make invisible
  25. spaces visible (like what you get by hitting the space bar), which can be
  26. important, and you can strip CR's, which can also be handy.  And the mouse-
  27. scrolling...whew!  It moves faster, up or down, as you move nearer the top or
  28. bottom of the screen...and when you get to the edge, this baby really flies.
  29. The arrow keys move the screen up and down, of course, and the shifted arrow
  30. keys make it really jump, about 12 lines at a whack.  Ctrl-up/down arrow keys
  31. whisk you to the top or bottom of the file, and Ctrl-side arrows zip you
  32. across a line.  Sorry, don't mean this to be a lesson (old habits die hard),
  33. I just want to point out that once you get used to the keys, you can really
  34. dash around this thing.  That's true with a lot of text editors, but this one
  35. seems particularly well thought out.
  37.   Maybe what I like best about it is that it preloads the whole file first, 
  38. so its Search mode is as fast as your computer can move.  That's not impor-
  39. tant for short textfiles, of course, but when you're searching through some
  40. 650k textfile, it makes a serious difference.
  42.   One other nifty feature is its Undo function.  Many smart text editors have
  43. an Undo memory, but it's all caught up when you save the file.  CED has what
  44. you might call a "temporary save" feature, that'll save the file so you can
  45. test it out, but if you want to undo the damage done, it's still there.
  47.   CED also handles binary to a degree, so you can do things like edit ANSI
  48. animations, insert screen clearing codes at the top of your textfiles, or
  49. maybe edit a binary HighScores file or something.
  51.   For what it's worth, it's quite bug-free.  I don't ever recall it causing a
  52. Guru, under whatever circumstances.  And, heh, that's saying a lot! :)
  54.   Let's see...a few bad things.  For some reason, it doesn't like the parnet
  55. system, just spits out some kind of inexplicable DOS error code when you try
  56. to save a file through the net: device.  Ed, it must be noted, does it just
  57. fine, so minus-one for CED.  One thing that's not "wrong", but has to have an
  58. eye kept on it, is the right-hand margin.  In ProWrite, for instance, nothing,
  59. but nothing, goes past the margin..it wraps it immediately.  Since CED doesn't
  60. have "live" word-wrap, if you start writing in the middle of a line, it just
  61. runs it right out past the margin.  This is no big deal as long as you remem-
  62. ber to "reformat" <blech> the paragraph.  "As long as" being the operative
  63. phrase here.
  65.   I like the reminder box that pops up after so many minutes, letting you
  66. click on a small box to save the file.  I didn't use it at first 'cause it's
  67. kind of pesky, but then I lost a little something one day and decided to give
  68. it a try, and now it's saved a few things here and there, so I like it.
  70.   Oh, here's something kinda smart.  When you <ouch! here it comes again!>
  71. "reformat" a paragraph, it not only takes care of the right-hand margin, but
  72. makes sure there are two spaces between every period, question mark and
  73. exclamation point, and the next word!  Okay, it's not earth-shaking, but it
  74. earns cuteness points.
  76.   Well, that's about it.  As mentioned, one really great aspect of the
  77. program is its ability to block off, save and insert columns.  You may not
  78. need it often, but when you do, it's a life-saver.
  82. %Z